iRest Certification Program Required Reading List
The following books are recommendations based on the usefulness of their contents for deepening one’s understanding of the teachings that underlie iRest Yoga Nidra. The inclusion of books in this list is not intended to be a comment on or approval of the personal lives or actions of the authors. You may decide to avoid some of these books based on your own judgment.
RICHARD MILLER (All of the Following)
- Yoga Nidra: A Meditative Practice for Deep Relaxation and Healing, Sounds True.-by Richard Miller (2010)
- Integrative Restoration (6 CD set): The ancient practice of Yoga Nidra for easing stress, healing trauma and awakening to your timeless Presence. Anâhata Press. by Richard Miller (2007)
- Level 1 & Level 2 (iRest Training Manuals)©. Anâhata Press. (manuals not available for purchase, only available as course material)
SAMKHYA (One of the following)
- Miller, Richard. (2008) Samkhya Karika of Ishvara Krsna. Anahata Press. (Order through irest.org)
- Virupakshananda, Swami. (1995) Samkhya Karika of Ishvara Krsna. Sri Ramakrishna Math. Madras, India.
YOGA SUTRA OF PATAÑJALI (Any version of Patanjali by any author, or:)
- Carrera, Jaganath. (2006) Inside The Yoga Sutras. Integral Yoga Publications. Yogaville, VA.
- MSI, (1995) Enlightenment. SFA Publications. Waynesville, NC.
- Venkatesananda, Swami. (1998) Enlightened Living. Anahata Press, P.O. Box 1673, Sebastopol, CA 95473. (available through www.irest.org)
ADVAITA (One of the following)
- Aiyer, N.R.K. (1984) The Essence of the Ribbhu Gita, Ramanasramam, India.
- Balsekar, Ramesh S. (1989) A Duet of One, Advaita Press, Redondo Beach, California.
- Byrom, Tr. Thomas (1990) The Heart of Awareness. A Translation of the Ashtavakra Gita. Shambala Publications.
- Nikhilananda, Swami. (1975) Self-Knowldege of Sri Shankaracarya, Ramakrishna Math. India.
- Nikhilananda, Swami. (1976) Drg-Drsya-Viveka, Sri Ramakrishna Sharama, Mysore, India.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj. Various books including I Am That, Seeds of Consciousness, Prior to Consciousness, Consciousness and the Absolute, Pointers from Misargadatta Maharaj, etc.
- Nityaswarupananda. Swami (1990) Astavakra Samhita, Advaita Ashrama, India.
- Saraswathi, Swami. (1989) Tripura Rahasya: The Mystery Beyond the Trinity, Ramanasramam, India.
KASHMIR NONDUALISM (One of the following)
- Chetananada, Swami. (1990) Dynamic Stillness: The Practice of Trika Yoga (Vol I) and Dynamic Stillness: The Fulfillment of Trika Yoga (Vol II). Rudra Press. [Essence of Kashmir Shaivism. Vol. I is more basic and easier to read.]
- Hughes, John. (1994) Self Realization in Kashmir Shaivism, The Oral teachings of Swami Lakshmanjoo, SUNY.
- Odier, Daniel. (2001) Desire, The Tantric Path To Awakening, Inner Traditions, VT.
- Odier, Daniel. (2004) Yoga Spandakarika. The Sacred Text at the Origins of Tantra. Inner Traditions.
- Odier, Daniel. (1997) Tantric Quest: An Encounter with Absolute Love. Inner Traditions.
- Osho. (1997). The Book of Secrets: Vigyan Bhairav Tantra. Cologne. Rebel Publishing House.
- Roche, Lorin, The Radiance Sutras. www.lorinroche.com
- Ruvinsky, Joan. (2019) The Recognition of Our Own Heart: Ponderings on the Pratyabhijnahrdayam, Babaji’s Kriya Yoga and and Publications Inc., Quebec, Canda.
- Swami Shantananda. (2003) The Splendor of Recognition. SYDA Foundation.
- Singh, Jaideva. (1998) Pratyabhijñâhrdayam: The Secret of Self-Recognition, Motilal, India.
- Singh, Jaideva. (1998) Siva Sutras, The Yoga of Supreme Identity. Motilal, India.
- Singh, Jaideva. (1994) Spanda Kârikâs: The Divine Creative Pulsation. Motilal, India.
- Singh, Jaideva. (1979) Vijñanabhairava (The Yoga of Delight, Wonder & Astonishment) Motilal, Delhi, India.
JEAN KLEIN (One of the following)
- Klein, Jean. (1988) Who Am I? Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1984) The Ease of Being. Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1986) The Sacred Quest. Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1989) I Am. Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1990) Transmission of the Flame. Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1992) Open to the Unknown. Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1994) Beyond Knowledge. Third Millennium Publications.
- Klein, Jean. (1995) Living Truth. Santa Barbara. Third Millennium Publications.
For further readings recommendations please see ‘References’ in the iRest Level I Manual