Level 1: Basic iRest® Training
The Level 1 Training is designed to provide you with the basic principles, history, theory, practice, and delivery of iRest. This will allow you to incorporate the simple 10-step iRest protocol into your personal life, professional teaching, or clinical practice. The protocol has been designed for use in various settings that include a personal practice, yoga environments, physical therapy, massage therapy, social work, clinical and medical settings, alternative or integrative medical practices, as well as in-job training and job resiliency programs. Most, but not all, Level 1 Trainings offer 31-38 CE* hours available for YA, PSY, MFT, LCSW, RN. Please see event details for specific CE offerings. What is included:
- The iRest Level 1 Training introduces you to the historical context and path of meditation in which iRest is embedded and provides you with an:
- Understanding of Eastern and Western psycho-spiritual perspectives that form the path of meditation and iRest.
- Understanding of the evidence-based research showing the efficacy of iRest and its use with different psycho-physical issues and populations.
- Understanding of iRest within the context of meditation.
- Understanding of the teacher-student relationship, teaching issues and ethical considerations.
- Teaches you the Ten Steps of iRest.
- Introduces and teaches you to use iRest for your personal practice.
- Teaches you how to teach iRest to groups and individuals in order to provide simple yet highly effective delivery of iRest in group and individual settings.
- Provides you the opportunity to participate in group lectures and peer discussion groups.
- Provides you the opportunity to receive and participate in multiple iRest experiential group and one-on-one practice sessions.
Level 1 iRest Attendees are eligible to:
- Use the designation “iRest L1 Teacher" in advertising and promotional materials, and when delivering iRest in public and professional settings. Those not intending to continue to Certification, may describe their teaching as "influenced by the iRest protocol and the teachings of Richard Miller and the iRest Institute."
- Be listed on the IRI website as a having attended the iRest Institute's iRest Level 1 Training.
- Post your personal profile on the IRI website, listing yourself as "Attended Level 1 iRest Training." This posting will allow people who are seeking iRest group or individual sessions in their local area to find your name and view your qualifications as a provider of these sessions.
- Audit Level 1 Trainings at reduced rates.
- Utilize private mentoring from IRI Certified Mentors (additional fees apply).
- Access the valuable “iRest Teacher’s Resource Webpage” to download iRest teaching materials and professionally designed promotional brochures, flyers, and more!
- Join the iRest “Teacher’s Community Network” (TCN) (additional fees apply).
You will learn iRest Yoga Nidra principles in conjunction with in-depth east-west developmental and psycho/physical practices, that include emotional and cognitive work, and meditative self-inquiry. The program includes interactive dialogue, mind/body deep rest and relaxation, and one-on-one and group deliveries of iRest that emphasize deep, heartfelt listening and welcoming, which in turn produces profound healing for yourself and those you work with.
REQUIRED reading and listening: Richard Miller, Yoga Nidra: A Meditative Practice for Deep Relaxation and Healing (book with CD)
Recommended reading and listening:
- The iRest Program for Healing PTSD: A Proven-Effective Approach to Using Yoga Nidra Meditation and Deep Relaxation Techniques to Overcome Trauma By Richard Miller
- Integrative Restoration—iRest: The Principles and Practice of Yoga Nidra (6-CD set)
- iRest at Ease with Richard Miller (audio CD)
- Resting in Stillness (audio CD)
- Read an article by iRest teacher Samantha Kinkaid about Level 1 and Level 2 iRest Yoga Nidra Trainings.
- Read an article by iRest teacher Gemma Adams about iRest Yoga Nidra Certification.
View the complete listing of upcoming iRest Trainings and Retreats.
*The Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Spiritual Competency Resource Center (SCRC) maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
California Board of Behavioral Sciences accepts CE credits for license renewal by LCSWs and MFTs from California for programs from American Psychological Association approved CE providers. LCSWs, MFTs, and other mental health Counselors from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.
California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN Provider CEP 16887) to sponsor continuing education for Registered Nurses (RN). RNs from states other than California need to check with their state licensing board for approval.