Certified iRest Yoga Nidra Meditation Teacher
Professional Summary: A C-IAYT, E-RYT 500, RPYT, YACEP, C-WAE, and C-iRest® meditation teacher, I began meditating and practicing yoga in the 70's and teaching yoga in 1999. My background includes 21 years study and practice in alignment-based yoga, and 10 years in trauma-sensitive and accessible yoga.
I am a C-IAYT Certified Yoga Therapist, Certified Warriors at Ease teacher, a Certified iRest® Yoga Nidra teacher, Certified Y4A: Yoga for Amputees Master Trainer, am Cancer Exercise Specialist trained, and am an Accessible Yoga teacher and ambassador. I am co-director of the Yoga Center of Columbia’s Yoga Teacher Training 200 program (YTT 200), and an adjunct teacher for their Yoga Teacher Training 300 program. Since the passing in 2022 of Marsha T. Danzig, founder of Y4A:Yoga for Amputees, I have been co-director/administrator of that program including training yoga teachers how to teach yoga to amputees.
I teach classes, workshops, private lessons, and retreats focusing on accessible yoga for all, and on trauma-sensitive yoga and meditation, adaptive yoga for students with post traumatic stress, traumatic brain injury, amputation, or other special conditions, and on patients and survivors of cancer. My home studio is the Yoga Center of Columbia, www.columbiayoga.com
Highlights of Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities: 23 years as Yoga Teacher, including:
• 21 years teaching therapeutic elements of alignment-based yoga (7 as a Certified Anusara Yoga® Teacher).
• 16 years adjunct teacher of yoga teachers, including 4 years as co-director of Yoga Teacher Training 200 (RYT 200), 5 years as adjunct teacher of YTT 300 (RYT 500), 9 years teaching continuing education for teachers, and 5 years as Y4A: Yoga for Amputees Master Trainer.
• 3 years co-director/teacher of advanced Yoga Study Immersion.
• 17 years developing/teaching workshops and retreats.
Currently teaching - 4 public classes, 1 amputee class, private lessons, workshops, YTT 200 program (co-director), YTT 300 program, Continuing Education for Yoga Teachers, Y4A: Yoga for Amputees Teacher Training
• Certified Anusara Yoga Teacher – September 2004 – February 2012
• Duke Integrative Medicine, Certificate, Integrative Yoga for Seniors Professional Training, Nov 2011
• Swatantrya Yoga Training, Certificates – 2012 - 2013
• Certified Warriors at Ease Teacher – June 2013
• Cancer Exercise Specialist, Certificate – May 2014
• Warriors at Ease Program Coordinator, Resiliency Yoga, Ft. Meade, MD - February 2015 to December 2019
• Prison Yoga Project Teacher Training, Certificate – May 2016
• Warriors at Ease, Regional Progam Coordinator, Maryland - January 2017 to December 2019
• Certified iRest® Yoga Nidra meditation teacher – February 2017
• Certified Y4A:Yoga for Amputees Master Teacher Trainer - 2018
• Sensory Enhanced Yoga Institute, SEYI, trained, 2019
• Certified, Yoga for Lower Back Pain, Dr. Loren Fishman Method, September 2019
• Certified, Yoga vs. Osteoporosis I, Dr. Loren Fishman Method, October 2021
• Accessible Yoga Teacher and Ambassador, 2022
• BS, Organizational Behavior, Columbia Union College, 1987
• Masters in Public Financial Management, MPFM, American University, 1990
• Yoga Alliance, 2001 – present
• IAYT – 2002 – present
• Mid-Atlantic Yoga Association – 2000 – 2007 (Treasurer 2001-2002)
Earlier (Non-Yoga) Career Experience:
• Department of the Navy – 1970 – 1991 – Budget, Program, Cost, and Management Analyst, Researcher, and Program Manager
• Federal Accounting Standards Advisory Board (FASAB) – 1991- 2003 – Assistant Director, Financial Policy Analyst
• Certified Government Financial Manager, CGFM, retired
Social/Volunteer Organizations: 2015-2019, Warriors at Ease teacher, program manager, lead teacher, Resiliency Yoga Program at Ft. Meade, MD
Retreat Center of Maryland - volunteer from 2015-2019; Director, and Head of Business Development Committee, 2016 - 2019